Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/4/2018 (956 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
A trio of talented Winnipeggers rose to the top of the Canadian U17/U19 Wrestling Championships in Edmonton on the weekend.
Khaled Aldrar, a Grade 12 student at Dakota Collegiate and member of the Schewa Wrestling Club, earned gold in the male 52-kilogram freestyle event by beating Saskatoon's Brett McGunigal in the final.
Aldrar, who came to Canada with his family as a refugee from Syria in late 2016, capped his competition by also earning gold in the Greco-Roman event, defeating Steven Herzig of Prince George, B.C., in the final.
Another Schewa wrestler, Kyle Steeves of St. Paul's, followed a fifth-place finish in 2017 with a gold medal in the male 110-kilogram freestyle division, beating Edmonton's Tyler Duguid in the final. Steeves also finished fifth in his weight class in the Greco-Roman division, which does not permit holds below the waist.
In addition, Flin Flon's Carson Lee qualified for Cadet U18 Pam Am Games in Guatemala in May after a third-place finish in the under-19 male 80-kilogram division. Lee, who is 17, was then permitted to compete in the cadet qualification round and won that event in Edmonton.
Meanwhile, Schewa's Peytyn Senka defeated Isabelle Kaulback of Sackville, N.B., in the Greco-Roman female 49-kilogram division and also placed fourth in freestyle.
Other top finishes by Winnipeggers included:
- Bella Gershman earned a silver medal in the Greco-Roman female 65-kilogram division, losing to Lethbridge's Angelina Ellis-Toddington in the final.
- Jayden Ramgotra was fourth in the female 69-kilogram freestyle division while also earning a silver in Greco-Roman.
- Sam Pereira was fourth in the male 55-kilogram division.
- Connor Church finished fourth the male 65-kilogram division.
- Jenna Popowich claimed third in the female 65-kilogram Greco-Roman division.
- Riley Tougas and John Moncrieff were fourth and fifth, respectively, in the male 71-kilogram Greco-Roman division.
- Jacob Harvey was sixth in the male 80-kilogram freestyle event.
email@example.com Twitter: @sawa14
Mike has been working on the Free Press sports desk since 2003.